This blog is to exchange ideas on the challenges of teaching math and ways to make it easier to understand the concepts, especially to remedial learners.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
GCF and LCM
I don't know about you guys but I was always confused about which was which with the Greatest Common Factor and Least Common Multiple. My lead teacher showed me a trick to determine these. You factor out a number all three have as a factor. That goes on the left. The number underneath is what is left. You keep doing this until there are no more common factors. The GCF is found by multiplying the left hand numbers. The LCM is found by multiplying the GCF by the left over numbers. Voila! It is actually pretty cool. I taught it to the other teacher I worked with and she asked me to teach it to the class, she liked it so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is cool indeed. I wish I had been taught that method way back in 4th or 5th grade!
ReplyDeleteOur RSP taught me that way. Wish I knew that strategy before. :)
ReplyDelete